Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chinese Calligraphy Brush for Good Whacking

Today it was time to clean up the studio because I have a class coming in tomorrow. I love having classes here – I love to share my space and my students can check put products they have seen but never used before. I hate having classes here.......cause I have to clean up. When you are in your studio – and you are spending time cleaning instead of working on things, sometimes it’s just frustrating. It seems like the minute I start cleaning, I always know exactly what to do with the bits and pieces that are laying all over the place as I am putting them away – except that I don’t have the time to do any of it cause I have to clean! Anyway....I am throwing things into boxes and bins – getting ready to teach the gessoed newspaper class. I am moving around way too quickly considering the amount of stuff that is precariously piled up on top of more stuff all over around here – and sure enough – BAM - ....down comes a big can of soaking bamboo Chinese calligraphy brushes right on top of some of the newspaper sheets I had made as samples for the class (which were drying out by laying on the floor).

clip_image002

I just stood there and stared down at the papers while time stood still for a moment – I was just kind of dazed..... then......I noticed the pattern..... It was kind of a spray of the perfectly sized droplets. I had tried before to apply paint splotches by bending back and releasing painted bristles on a toothbrush – but the droplets were too small for the scale of the newspaper. I had tried whacking paint brushes of all sizes but the droplets were more like splotches...they were either too big or too watery. The droplets I was looking at were perfect! I grabbed one of the Chinese brushes and my sunset gold Lumiere paint.

clip_image004I mixed ½ paint with ½ water into a small dish – and then using the calligraphy brush - I flung and whacked beautiful perfectly round and perfectly sized random golden nuggets over my newspaper samples. It was so beautiful I decided to get a handful of background cards I had made the other day – and I whacked those as well.

clip_image006

Everything looked like it had just a breath of gold on it – in some places jeweled and in other spots just barely a hue..........including the black pants I was wearing.....and as it turns out, my tennis shoes. Oh well.....who can’t use more “art” clothes? I am sure these are appropriate attire for my trip to the store – which I have to go to right now......to get more Lumiere....

1 comment:

  1. Hello again,

    What a wonderful 'HAPPY ACCIDENT' and a brilliant discovery you made. It must have seemed like a real 'URIKA' moment. LOL The papers look gorgeous, no wonder you are off to buy more paint to make more of these wonderful papers. Your gessoed newspaper sheets look gorgeous too even before you added your golden touch.
    I am soooo pleased to have found your blog which in itself was a Happy Accident for me. LOL
    Warmest best wishes,
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete